Sunday, September 14, 2014

Review - Blue-Eyed Girl Lacquer and Dr. Who!

Hello, my lovelies! 

It has been far, far too long, but sadly, the job that pays the bills has been requiring all of my free time. But when Julie over at Blue Eyed Girl lacquer announced she was doing a Dr. Who themed line, I had to get in on that. Being a rather large Whovian, I was thrilled to be chosen as a blogger for it!

I love Dr. Who. We (Mr. Enchanted and myself) started with the 2005 reboot, starring Christopher Eccleston (The Ninth Doctor, for all intents and purposes and my personal favorite) and Billie Piper as Rose, his companion. The show actually debuted back in 1964, though it hasn’t run consistently for all 50 years. The Doctor is an alien known as a Time Lord, and he travels through space and time in his time travel machine, the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space). If he sustains enough damage in battle, he starts to regenerate – thus appearing as a different actor with a somewhat different personality. Along the way he picks up various traveling companions, and interacts with all sorts of incredible people and aliens (Daleks, Cybermen, etc).




Julie’s original idea for the line was only 6 polishes, but it’s now going to include – hold on – 15 polishes!!! Yes, 15! Not all at once though, so pocketbooks can breathe easy. The line is called It Got Away From Me, Yeah… September’s release is the Women of Dr. Who, October’s release is the Men of Dr. Who, and November will be the final four polishes, honoring the four doctors since the reboot started. Are you as excited as I am?? I am a huge fan of BEGL polishes, as they are very high quality, so I’m super excited to see her bring us Dr. Who.

So let’s get to it! There are 6 polishes for the Women of Dr. Who and I’ve got three to show you! I’m going to go in order of the ladies, and tell you a little about each one.




Is that a Technical Term, Jiggery Pokery? – This is for Rose Tyler, The Bad Wolf. Rose was a girl who worked in a shop when one night, the mannequins came to life and began to terrorize her and the city. Enter a strange man in black who rescued her (the Ninth Doctor). I adore Rose and she is one of my favorite two companions (companion is NOT a euphemism for anything sexual, they travel with the Doctor and share in his adventures). Rose is spunky, adventurous, and brave, and was lucky enough to travel with both the Ninth and Tenth Doctors (Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant, respectively). Rose consistently wins polls as ‘favorite Companion’. Her polish is a hot pink jelly base with silver, pink, and hot pink holo glitters. This a great representation of Rose and may be my favorite of the three.

Is that a Technical Term, Jiggery Pokery? is gorgeous. Look at that sparkle and shine! I love pink glitters and this is no exception. I see round glitter, hex glitter, star glitter and butterfly glitter and different sizes. It applied well, no dabbing required for glitter distribution. One coat here, shown over Elevation Polish Black Ice, a grayish-black satin polish, though it looks quite purple-y here.










You Just Want to Mate?! – is for Donna Noble, The Most Important Woman in the Whole of Creation. Donna joined the Tenth Doctor during his final season as his companion, after a single appearance between seasons 2 and 3.  I don’t care for the character of Donna much at all. I find her irritating and nagging, always needing to be rescued and her voice grates on me (though she does have gorgeous red hair). She did get better near the end of her run, and one of my all-time favorite episodes is her last (not for that reason, it’s just a fantastic story). Donna was older than  most of the companions, and had a different role from the fresh young girls he had chosen so far. She really tried to reign the Doctor in by voicing her objections to some of his decisions and actions, and playing the role of his conscious. Portrayed by British comedienne Catherine Tate, I am in the minority in my dislike of her, as Donna consistently rates in the middle-upper levels of companion polls. And while I may dislike the character, I LOVE this polish! Her polish is bright red with orange, red, and gold shimmers.

This is two thin coats. I had a really hard time catching the shimmers, but they are there, and have that kind of lit from within look that I really like. This polish is on the thinner side, so I used thin coats, topped with Seche Vite.  









Just Admiring Your Skills, Sweetie – is for the kick-ass Dr. River Song.  River isn’t usually considered a companion per se, but she pops in and out and always brings some fun and trouble. She’s incredibly smart, sassy, sexy, adventurous and may be the only thing other than the Doctor that scares the Hell out of the Daleks. I don’t want to give spoilers but River is one of the most fascinating characters in the Whoverse. River is also one of my favorites, and consistently ranks in the top of companion polls when included. She travels with the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors (Matt Smith as the 11th) (though many of us hope for her returning for the 12th!). This is a great polish for her.

This is two coats, with no top coat. I skipped the top coat to shown the satin finish that this dries to. Just Admiring Your Skills, Sweetie is a lovely, slightly thicker crรจme with a pink to purple shift. The shift is a little more noticeable in the bottle, but it’s definitely on the nail as well.









Curious about the other three?

I'm Dr. Martha Jones. Who the Hell Are You? (Martha Jones) – A bright fuchsia creme with green, gold and blue shifting glass flecks.

 A Long Time Ago Tomorrow (Amelia “Amy Pond” – my other favorite) – A TARDIS blue creme with a blue to pink to purple shift.

A Snogging Booth (Clara Oswin Oswald) – A clear base with black and red microglitters that dries slightly textured.

You can find these three at my friend Jessica’s blog, Polished10. Be sure to check them out!


AND (yes, there’s an ‘and’!)  The second of the numbered, Siren line will be released soon as well. This one is called Sunburned Siren and holy smokes is she a stunner. I’m in lurrrrve. She’s an orange leaning coral creme with rose gold microflakies and silver holographic microglitters. So, so beautiful. I’ll have a post and pics on her up later this week!

But that’s not all the fun over at BEGL this month! It’s BEGL’s two year anniversary so there’s a limited edition, special edition polish! You don’t want to miss this beauty! Her name is Terrific Twos and she’s a clear base with turquoise, teal, and sky blue microglitters that dries textured.

AND The fun still doesn't stop there. Julie has teamed up with Sweetheart Polish for a special Disney ride inspired duo! The duo is inspired by the Peter Pan ride.

Blue-Eyed Girl Lacquer Sewing Shadows – A light blue creme with glass flecks that shift from blue to green to gold.  The blue is inspired by Wendy’s night gown, and the shift brings together Wendy, Pan, and Tink into one polish!

Sweetheart Polish  Oh Look, a Firefly! – A lime green jelly packed with chartreuse and gold holographic and metallic glitters.  This is based off of Tinkerbell.

Now, the availability and pricing deets: The Doctor Who Collection and Sunburned Siren LE will be available starting Sunday, September 21, at 3:30 pm EDT in the Blue-Eyed Girl Lacquer big cartel store.  The Duo with Sweetheart Polish will be available soon, and be priced at $25.  The linear holographics and shifters will be $12, the cremes, shimmers, flakies, glitters, and microglitters will be $8.50. The Disney Duo and LE Siren will only be available once until they sell out.  The Doctor Who set will be restocked from September through November, at which point they will be retired.

Blue-Eyed Girl Lacquer can also be found on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.


***All three polishes were sent to me for honest review***

5 comments:

  1. Wow these are beautiful Mal, I like the red the best as well. I've missed your blog posts, good to see posting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I've missed it. I'm hoping to get a few in each month, we'll see if I can!

      Delete
  2. I love it!!! Thanks for the fantastic photos and awesome review and recap! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for the opportunity! They are gorgeous and I look forward to the rest. Geronimo!

      Delete
  3. Martha is the best companion EVER, closely followed by the Amy/Rory duo. Just my opinion (and Donna...is not my favorite). :)

    I like the red the best and the purple is pretty, too. Your nails are looking quite nice, by the way.

    ReplyDelete