Tuesday, August 14, 2012

TIOT: FLOAM!


Hello, my lovelies!

It’s Try It On Tuesday again! Be sure to stop by the wonderful Jilltastic Nail Design to see what all the bloggers are trying today! She always lists the participating bloggers of the week and is the coordinator of the project!

I’ve never thought Floam was an especially pretty polish, but it falls under the “interesting” category. Of course, it’s reminiscent of the old Floam we played with as kidsthe freakishly cool weird substance you could mold! 


A while back, an indie polish maker by the name of I’m Feeling Nail-Venturous created this polish called Floam. It developed a crazy cult-like following, and I was curious to see what the fuss is about. Sometimes it surfaces on Copious or eBay for upwards of $40! Nail-Venturous is no longer making polish, but she has arranged with Ninja Polish for them to make and distribute some of her polishes including Floam and Humblebee (which arrived Friday!). I was lucky enough to snag Floam on the last restock with it in the Nail-Venturous bottle (it now comes in Ninja’s signature bottle).

So it’s been sitting my “Try It On Tuesday” shoebox since! Until I’ve swatched and catalogued them, polishes don’t go on the polish rack. Of course, I need at least two more racks, but I digress. My friend Jenny asked if I would do Floam this week, so here it is!

Floam is a very thick polish, with lots of grains. I called them grains because to me, glitter sparkles. These don’t. They also dry matte, and I didn’t put any top coat on. It’s a very rough polish that would definitely benefit from some top coat (I’m just lazy today). 

This is 4 coats of Floam. It’s pretty opaque but still a little thin on the edges. This is definitely a labor intensive polish. It evens comes with directions to let each layer dry completely before applying the next, as it’s so thick. 

I’ve seen some swatches where it looks bluer, but mine definitely leans green. This is such a unique formula, there is a disclaimer that shades may vary slightly, and of course, monitors can affect the color displayed.

Floam was a real  trendsetter, and completely unique when it first came out. Since then, there have been several others that come close, but don’t quite capture its personality.

Shade:




Sunlight:
 





 Overall, I think it’s really interesting. Do you like Floam? Are you thinking about getting it?


8 comments:

  1. I like it on you! Although I probably wouldn't wear it myself because I'm not fond of the matte look. Although maybe this gets a lot shinier with a good topcoat. What a fun color, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you could make it lean different colors w/ different undies under it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably not something I'd wear, but it is a really neat-looking polish, definitely reminiscent of Floam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has a cool effect, and i love the colors in it. But if it's that labor intent I wouldn't wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Different, and I mean that in a good way. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous :( gimme! haha, just kidding. it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got Floam recently cos I didn't think I was a fan of matte polish but after I put this on I changed my mind! This is such a unique polish I love it!! A layer of topcoat smooths it right out and it wears great. Get so many compliments on it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, gals! The more I looked at it on me, the more I liked it. I meant to try the foil method to remove it, but I ended up peeling it off, lol! It peeled up easily though. I'm def going to try it over some other colors. It is a bit labor intensive, but in the end, I think it's worth it. I think Nail-Venturous really hit it out of the ballpark with this one for uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete